Working in the UK after your studies will present you with lots of exciting opportunities and provide you with invaluable experience that will help you stand out in the global employment market in the future. Follow our guide to landing a great graduate job in the UK.
What are UK employers looking for?
The UK graduate job market is extremely competitive. Potential employers will be looking for candidates with a great academic record and excellent English language skills. There are a number of ways to make your application stand out, including:
- Placements – placements provide you with valuable insights into particular industries and sectors
- Work experience and internships – work experience, internships, work shadowing and volunteering will show initiative and drive, such experience is highly regarded by employers
- Extracurricular activities
- Academic activities
Am I allowed to work in the UK?
The UK government has a points-based system that allows students to stay in the UK for work under Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 5 of a five-tier system.
Visa requirements change frequently and the UK leaving the European Union will definitely lead to some drastic changes so you should do your research to make sure you have the correct documentation to live and work in the UK.
How can I find a job in the UK?
There are various ways to find great jobs in the UK. You should take some time to decide which career sector you’d like to work in. Internet research is a great way to discover which companies are currently recruiting and what roles are available. Why not contact Nicholas Howard to help to you with your search? We offer a range of different services to help you land a job in the UK, including:
- Advising you on the current job market and roles we have available
- CV review and writing
- Skills optimisation
- Interview techniques
- Devising a strategy for taking you to market
- Career tracking and management
Contact us today to find about more about the services we offer, call 01264 810 076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.