Underwriting Manager – Mansfield, Nottinghamshire – Permanent
Nicholas Howard Limited are delighted to be recruiting for a new and exciting role as an Underwriting Manager.
Based in Mansfield, responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that individual pipelines are handled and progressed in an efficient manner avoiding any delays in and responding to the Society’s customers.
- Support the development and implementation of business change to ensure evolution and to meet the Society’s short and long term strategy.
- To use initiative and act as a problem solver and subject expert matter in respect of the Lending Policy, processes, regulations and audits.
- To provide leadership and mentoring through coaching and feedback to communicate expectations for employee performance.
- To proactively manage your own individual Commercial lending pipeline ensuring that a positive and effectively relationship is maintained.
- Approval and monitoring of the Commercial Development Finance loans, including the initial assessment of the builder and associated third parties, the personal covenant of the borrowers, cash flow forecasts, costings and overall profitability of the proposal. This will include monitoring the progress of the build including liaising with relevant third parties such as Valuers, Quantity Surveyors and Mortgage Brokers.
- To be proactive and responsible for the day to day staffing arrangements of your delegated team consulting with the Mortgage Manager as and when required.
- To take responsibility for and to independently deal with both verbal and written complaints as and when they arise whilst adhering to the complaints procedure.
- To take responsibility and ensure that all mortgage documentation is up to date and relevant, for example, Mortgage Application forms, legal documentation, the Society’s website, BSA instructions and General Mortgage Terms and Conditions for all lending segments.
- To maintain awareness of the Society’s credit risk appetite including the monitoring of lending limits, Credit Committee information, micro / macro-economic factors and independently preparing appropriate reports on any of these areas for the relevant Committees.
- To independently carry out quarterly Quality Assurance checks and to take responsibility for preparing Management information reports for the Mortgage Manager / relevant Committees and provide appropriate feedback to the Underwriters.
Key Qualities and Skills;
- A Levels or Level 3 equivalent preferred.
- CeMAP Level 3 qualified preferred.
- Commercial Underwriting experience is essential.
- Previous underwriting experience within development finance and other niche lending segments such as Bridging, Self-build, Credit repair etc.
- At least 5+ years’ experience as a Mortgage Underwriter preferred.
- Experience in efficiently managing a team.
- To have held and demonstrated effective use of a lending mandate.
- To have prepared and presented written reports to Senior Management.
- Knowledge of MCOBS regulation.
- Excellent organisation skills, including ability to prioritise and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work unsupervised and use own initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with those at all levels e.g. Board Directors, Colleagues, Customers.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
To be considered for this position please apply below.