Shipping & Freight Officer – Havant, Hampshire – Permanent
Nicholas Howard Limited are delighted to be recruiting for a new and exciting role as a Shipping & Freight Officer.
Based in Havant, this role is within the International Trade Compliance team within the Sustainment Function, performing a variety of tasks. The Trade Compliance team is responsible for overseeing / arranging the shipment of goods to and from sites within the UK and internationally and the transfer of export controlled technology / US technical data. The Lead Shipping Officer is responsible for overseeing all freight movements made by RMS business units, ensuring safety and compliance.
The role requires the LSO to work with minimum supervision in line with internal processes.
- Control international and domestic freight movements through Asset Management Requests (AMRs) for five business units.
- Liaise with approved freight agencies to move goods domestically and internationally.
- Ensures that freight and logistic issues, including those related to customers or suppliers are reported to RMS Trade Compliance Lead, and acts to resolve any problems.
- Decide on the preference for freight movements and meet savings objectives to achieve the best and most efficient route to effect delivery or transfer of goods, and to comply with any necessary regulations or compliance requirements (such as Dangerous Goods requirements, or Government Security Classified (GSC) goods are correctly handled through an approved courier).
- Manage any Customs Special Procedures, Reliefs granted by HMRC or applications for schemes and guarantees as required. Support programmes by actively suggesting any schemes that may be suitable. Liaise with US imports to ensure that all US exportations meet the requirements of ITAR at US Border Control.
- Record deliveries and acquisitions through the European Union through the HMRC Intrastat system.
- Arrange direct representation of all Import and Export Customs clearances through the approved agent to the Customs Handling Import Export Freight (CHIEF) computer, or the new Customs Declaration System (CDS).
- Resolve any discrepancies on the HMRC Management Support System (MSS) raised by the Trade Compliance Co-Ordinator (TCCO) after audit. Arrange request to renew MSS reports on annual basis with HMRC.
- Create and maintain import and export customs entry records alongside the TCCO for internal and external audit.
- Keep leads, team leads and managers apprised of current issues and their mitigation and resolution.
- Advise sub contract and procurement officers on freight and international commercial terms (Incoterms) for the localised acquisition (procurement of goods) process, and advise departments and functions on shipping processes to reduce delays and avoid unnecessary costs or customs penalties from incorrect import practices.
- The LSO is authorised to stop shipments in the interest of company protection and to keep Line management and Team Leads informed of any undue process which may cause any customs non compliances or any logistics and / or freight handling issues.
- Support and provide assistance if requested by the wider business.
- Manage freight courier invoices and Purchase Orders (in conjunction with Procurement and Buyers).
Qualifications & Experience:
- Three years working in a logistics and freight field is desirable, one year’s experience minimum preferred.
- Experience in the Defence / Aerospace Industry and an AEO company is desirable.
- Experience working for a UK subsidiary of a US defence company is an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Should have some experience/understanding of the overlap between and layered requirements of security, export and import.
Candidates must ensure they are eligible to apply for SC clearance before applying for this position.
To be considered for this position please apply below.