Software Development Engineer – Bedford – Permanent
Nicholas Howard Limited are delighted to be recruiting for a new and exciting role as a Software Development Engineer.
A talented Software Development Engineer is required to join the Software Engineering team at our Client’s base in Bedford. As a Software Development Engineer you will have worked on programmes through the full Software Engineering lifecycle, with focus on the Software Design, Implementation and Unit Testing aspects of software development.
Successful candidates will be responsible for performing a range of software engineering tasks across the development lifecycle, including but limited to; assisting with requirements analysis, software design, implementation, and software testing and will be required to support integration and test activities. They will be expected to apply their knowledge of computer systems and software engineering best practice in the performance of their duties and be responsible for ensuring software compliance standards are met by the application of appropriate processes, procedures and tools throughout the software development lifecycle.
Successful candidates will be expected to be knowledgeable and proficient in the application of a wide range of software engineering practices and will display a proactive and innovative approach to developing complex technical solutions to difficult customer problems, under general direction from their project lead. They will be responsible for assisting with accurate estimating/planning and will be expected to manage their own workload effectively to ensure that project milestones are met.
Education & Experience:
- Experience of the following procedures relating to software architecture and design, software integration and test, and requirements verification.
- Experience and demonstrated competence with at least one of the following programming languages: Java 8, C#.
- Strong understanding of threading and concurrent programming in either Java or C#.
- Strong understanding of unit testing and unit test/mocking frameworks, i.e. NUnit/Junit and Moq/Mockito.
- Experience of relational database design and SQL.
- Demonstrable knowledge and application of software configuration management tools and procedures.
- Typically you may have used UML modelling tools (e.g. Rhapsody) and be familiar with requirements capture tools (e.g. DOORS). You will also be proficient in the use of software source control tools (e.g. Mercurial) and issue tracking tools (e.g. JIRA).
- You should have a passion for developing high quality software solutions, have the ability and willingness to support/mentor junior team members, be a self-starter with the ability to work with little supervision, proven ability to learn new skills quickly, all whilst maintaining a high standard of ethics and personal accountability.
- HMI/GUI design and development.
- GIS frameworks (e.g. Luciad).
- Understanding of entity framework for .NET and the Java persistence API for Java.
- Experience of Continuous Integration.
- Confident in use of IntelliJ (or Eclipse) and Visual Studio 2013.
- Experience with the Agile software development methodology and Scrum.
Candidates must ensure they are eligible to apply for SC clearance before applying for this position.
To be considered for this position please apply below.